Monday, February 26, 2007

February 20, 2007 – My big Valentine’s Day

I was originally scheduled to spend my Valentine’s Day with our American Heroes at the Veteran’s Medical Center in Ann Arbor. Unfortunately, cupid’s arrow hit a big snow cloud and there was no way I would make it to Ann Arbor because of weather. Not to despair! We simply rescheduled Valentine’s Day to February 20th.

It was one of the best Valentine’s Day of my life. We visited rooms for nearly 4 and a half hours and I signed more than 100 autographs. I really enjoyed listening to their stories and getting to know the Michigan (and some Ohio) veterans. 19 year-old Tim was wounded by an explosive back in October and is now fighting to keep his foot, but he was excited to show me his new cell phone and talk about his beautiful girlfriend Sarah. Ken from Redford who agrees that my family makes the best pizza, is losing his fight with cancer. He had such a twinkle in his eye and looked and sounded so healthy, I was shocked to learn of his diagnosis. Lynn from Gaylord is the “Dog Whisperer” of Michigan and claims that he can train any dog in 3 hours as long as the owners will let him train them too. He is paralyzed from the waist down and a recent surgery has temporarily left him without the use of his right arm. His service dog Kit (who just before we walked in finished cleaning his hospital room) was one of his best students!

I can only hope our Valentine’s visit may have raised some spirits and reminded them that there are so many of us who remember and are grateful. They certintly reminded me that the strength and bravery of our U.S. troops (among other things) endures long after the war they fight is over.

A special thank you to our guide for the day, John Kinzinger from the Washtenaw County Vietnam Veteran’s of America and volunteer for the Medical Center for all his patience and time.

No comments:

Miss Michigan's Appearance Calendar