Monday, February 26, 2007

February 2, 2007 - Miss America 2007 Preliminaries


I cannot believe that my Miss America experience is already over! It is difficult to comprehend that the one event I have worked so hard for the last 6 years have come and gone. Don’t get me wrong, I knew it would fly by. I took lots of pictures, collected many friends, and tried to create as many memories as possible – and yet it still seems impossible to believe that not only was I there, but also that it’s over. So as I look at my photographs, email my friends and tell the stories I’ve collected, it seems like the only way to make it last just a little bit longer is to share those with you.

First of all old friends, let me first apologize for making you wait so long! Here’s a quick overview of all the adventures I have not yet had the chance to tell you about. . .

Tuesday night after rehearsals, we boarded our buses and headed down the Las Vegas Strip to The Forum at Caesar’s to dine at the Planet Hollywood restaurant. Unfortunately in the interest of security we entered through a loading dock directly across from the restaurant – so I never did get a chance to see any of the hotel or the Forum. I did get to see something even better though . . . Noddea and Dave! After giving them each a quick hug and snapping a few photos, I went back to my table in a section reserved for the contestants. After eating one of our favorite meals of the week and receiving more Planet Hollywood presents (they spoiled us) – it was time to have some fun. I and a few of the other girls at my table went to the Planet Hollywood store and through the restaurant to snap some fun pictures. I finally got photograph with RockyJ Then the manager helped us clear away some of the tables and played some of our favorite “old school” songs and we had an instant dance party. It was the perfect, fun-filled and relaxing evening before interviews the next morning.

Wednesday was a long day. With everyone doing interviews at different times and rehearsals things could have been a little chaotic – but our hostesses were quite organized. Rehearsals ended early on Wednesday and those of us who had already finished interviews had the rest of the evening off. I took the opportunity to go to the gym for a little while, mostly just to get out of the hotel room. Then Tiffany and I treated ourselves to a room service dinner and relaxed with a TV movie! We knew this was not going to happen again for the rest of the week and we decided to take advantage of it. . .

We were right. During competition days we became very accustomed to the “hurry up and wait” routine (this was not a problem because aside from the cold theater, we actually relished the downtime when another group was on stage.) Many contestants brought their laptops, and ipods. Some brought pillows and blankets to nap. Some brought card games and socialized. Still others were happy just watching the stage and the show take shape and trying to soak it all in. I fell somewhere in between those last two groups. It will be these rehearsals in the theater that I will remember the most. I just sat in awe of the whole spectacle. The glamorous and incredible stage. The professionalism of the stage crew, lighting design, choreographers, producers, etc. The scattered media throughout the theater snapping up photographs and quotes. The state banners appearing slowly one after another. The family and friends who sat through all the rehearsals to cheer for their girl. Best of all – watching each of my fellow contestants do her thing. It was exhilarating to see each of my friends strut their stuff (and all their hard work) in their swimsuits, model their gowns, and best of all perform their hearts out! I was watching the Miss America class of 2006 and I felt proud and honored to be a part of that. It wasn’t until these rehearsals that I started to feel like I was at Miss America!

No comments:

Miss Michigan's Appearance Calendar